The Gruppo del Colore – Associazione Italiana del Colore (Color Group – Italian Color Association), in collaboration with the Istituto di Fisica Applicata “Nello Carrara” of the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (IFAC-CNR) and the Opificio delle Pietre Dure(OPD), organize an international conference on “Colour Photography and Film: sharing knowledge of analysis, preservation, conservation, migration of analogue and digital materials” in Florence (Italy) at the end of March 2021 (tentatively, March Monday 29th and Tuesday 30th2021).
We are now experiencing the lockdown because of Covid-19. As it stands, this could prove to be the very first digital memory of a major, global event. As a matter of fact, the transition from analogue to digital began in the 1990s, but so far, analogue and digital technologies have been united to ensure a qualitative compromise.
Although the idea of the organizers to launch a conference on the state of the art of contemporary photography was born with the Italian research project called Memoria Fotografica, which started in 2019, we are currently facing a new situation, therefore a new involvement. A growing international interest in visual memory, its results and issues related to preservation, conservation, investigation, transmission and use are going to be fundamental topics, as we emerge from the current crisis
Therefore, a look at the history, practices, archiving and use of analogue and digital photography can help us define new strategies for the conservation and restoration of photographic and film materials.
Contributors are welcome to outline and share their recent research and experiences on analogue and digital materials. Highlights on preservation, conservation, restoration, digital migration of colour photographs and film are particularly welcomed.
Authors are invited to submit their papers only if they are committed in participating in the conference. Papers sent by e-mail will not be accepted; for submitting your papers use the online EasyChair system available from June 1st 2020 at:
All the information on how to submit the abstracts will be sent with the 2nd call by July 2020.
- Historical and current technologies, materials, processes.
- Preservation issues and sustainability.
- Conservation treatments, experiences, case studies.
- Digitization and digital recovery of photographic objects and film materials.
- Barbara Cattaneo
- Marcello Picollo
- Barbara Cattaneo, Opificio delle Pietre Dure (OPD), Florence (Italy)
- Costanza Cucci, Istituto di Fisica Applicata “Nello Carrara” of the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (IFAC-CNR), Florence (Italy)
- Giovanna Fossati, Eye Filmmuseum / University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam (NL)
- Bertrand Lavédrine, Centre de Recherche sur la Conservation (CRC), Paris (France)
- Tom Learner, Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles (USA)
- Austin Nevin, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg (Sweden)
- Sylvie Pénichon, The Art Institute of Chicago (AIC), Chicago (USA)
- Roberta Piantavigna, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco (USA)
- Marcello Picollo, Istituto di Fisica Applicata “Nello Carrara” of the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (IFAC-CNR), Florence (Italy)
- Katrin Pietsch, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
- Alessandro Rizzi, Università degli Studi di Milano, Milan (Italy)
- Yoko Shiraiwa, Shiraiwa Conservation Studio, Tokyo (Japan)
- Giorgio Trumpy, University of Zurich, Zurich (Switzerland)
Deadlines & Conference registration fees:
- 31st October 2020: Abstract submission deadline.
The corresponding author of the abstract (max 3000 characters, spaces included) is requested to specify the desired type of presentation (oral or poster) and the chosen session.
- 15th November 2020: Peer review of the abstracts and early Registration Abstract acceptance notification, definition of the type of presentation and opening registration to the Conference for authors and participants at special fee (regular 100 €; student 72 €).
- 15th February 2021: Registration
Participants’ registration to the Conference at regular fee (regular 120 €, student 92 €)
End of March 2021: Conference The registration fee includes:
- Mandatory annual registration for the 2021 calendar year to the GdC-Associazione Italiana Colore,
- Entrance to the conference,
- Four coffee breaks
Selected papers based on the presented works will be proposed for the submission in a special issue of the open access Color Culture and Science Journal.