Programme and institute
The ICR (now recalled ISCR) was born in 1939, based on a project developed by Giulio Carlo Argan and Cesare Brandi (the Institute's first director), to ensure that restoration activities would be carried out on a scientific basis and to unify the methods applied to works of art and archaeological finds.
The contemporary art conservation training has been started in 1995 up to 2001, as part of the old courses (three years plus one year of specialization), during the conservation lab of canvas painting, introducing the new techniques and the adapted conservation treatments.
Starting from the new course of the school (four years), in the 1998, it became a course completely dedicated to the contemporary materials as industrial painting binders and plastic, their technology, degradation, conservation treatments and research.
In the next new re-organization on five years, it will continue in the same way.
It considers conceptual pieces such installations and performance, as part of the contemporary artistic expressions, also if they have never treated directly.
The aim of the training is overall to acquire knowledge on the new materials compared to the traditional technique adapting the conservation possibilities to the new needs.
On the web site, training section, you can find information about the organization of the school and its programs.
It is possible for the foreign conservator or conservation students, to be involved in the courses for three months for a stage.